Safe Travel Barometer has released the Safe Travel Score for airports worldwide including the Asia Pacific (APAC) region, and three Indian airports – Delhi, Bengaluru and Mumbai – have made it to the list of the top 10 in APAC. In fact, Delhi and Bengaluru are also ranked among the top 10 safest airports of the world.
Airports play a critical role in easing the passengers into the new normal. They are the first line of defence in ensuring a safe and less anxious travel.
Overnight, hundreds of airports worldwide had to upend their operational processes; research, evaluate and implement a variety of initiatives to ensure traveller and crew safety and comfort, while also minimising the chances of COVID-19 transmission. The Safe Travel Score is a rating initiative based on an independent audit of more than 200 airports and 20 traveller health and safety measures announced by airports. The Safe Travel Score is an indicator of the preparedness of the travel industry as part of the
Being ‘ground zero’ for the COVID-19 pandemic, APAC’s airports have a head start in implementing traveller health and safety measures compared to other regions. These measures are also directed by the respective aviation authorities and governments at large. Accordingly, APAC airports are the most mature in the world when it comes to implementation of safe travel initiatives, including COVID-19 testing of passengers upon arrival.
Virendra Jain, Co-founder and CEO, Safe Travel, states, “Safe Travel Score for airlines and airports allows us to piece together a holistic view of air travel, beginning from the airside all the way through on-board experiences. Our independent rating centred on traveller health and safety measures establishes a baseline for travel brands, while equally offering travellers a glimpse into what they can expect in their journeys.”
Last month, Safe Travel Barometer had announced the safest airlines in the world. While Germany’s Lufthansa is rated as the world’s leading airline with a Safe Travel Score of 4.5 out of 5, India’s Vistara and US-based Delta are tied at the second spot with a Safe Travel Score of 4.4 out of 5,
Airlines which made it to the top 10 achieved a Safe Travel Score of more than 4 out of 5.
Other leading airports in traveller safety measures
- Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL), USA
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), USA
- Boston-Logan International Airport (BOS), USA
- Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), USA
- Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL), USA
- Frankfurt Airport (FRA), Germany
- Heathrow Airport (LHR), UK
- Boryspil International Airport (KBP), Ukraine
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS), The Netherlands
- Paris-Orly (ORY), France
Middle East and Africa
- Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH), UAE
- Dubai International Airport (DXB), UAE
- Hamad International Airport (DOH), Qatar
- Bahrain International Airport (BAH), Bahrain
- Istanbul Ataturk Airport (ISL), Turkey